School Elections Information
School Election Dates
Michigan Election law (MCL 168.642c) stipulates that school board elections must be held in November of even years. (This change took effect 12-1-2012) All other federal, state, county, city, township, and school elections are restricted to the following four dates each year.
First Tuesday after the first Monday in:
Exceptions are provided for:
- Special elections called under the State Legislature
- School districts, intermediate school districts and community college districts that wish to present a millage proposal, bond proposal or a proposal to borrow funds on a date other than one of the four “fixed” election dates
Running for School Board
Individuals who are interested in running for a School Board position will need to contact the respective School in which they are a registered voter.
The Superintendent’s office will know the following information:
- Number of board positions to be elected
- If the positions are partial term or full term
- Length of terms: Two year, four year, six year
How to File
What forms are required to file:
- School Board Candidates Affidavit of Identity and Receipt of Filing Form
- Statement of Organization Form for Candidate / Committee (Campaign Finance Form)
Beginning in 2014, the filing deadline for candidates has changed it is now due 15 weeks before the date of the election.
|Election Date||Election Type||Filing Deadline||Where to File|
|August 2, 2016||Primary Election||April 19, 2016||Before 4 p.m. - County Clerk’s Office - Courthouse|
|November 8, 2016||General Election||July 26, 2016||Before 4 p.m. - County Clerk’s Office - Courthouse|