Appliances can be recycled at the following locations:
- Benton Metal Recycling
- Berrien County Recycling Collection Events
- Charities and social service organizations often take working appliances. Please refer to the list of social service organizations in the Yellow Pages and see the Household Goods page.
- Electric Ideas through Indiana Michigan Power: Recycle your old fridge or freezer, call 800-253-5661 or visit the Electric Ideas website.
- Green Earth Electronics Recycling accepts all types of appliances, including Freon containing devices and pick-up service.
- Harbor Habitat Restore accepts working appliances for resale and non-working, metal appliances for recycling.
- Michiana Metal and Scrap Recycling
- Padnos - Benton Harbor
- Padnos - Buchanan
Refrigerators, freezers, heat pumps, dehumidifiers, and air conditioners contain Freon, a chemical known as Chlorinated Fluorocarbons, which can harm the environment if released. Some of the services listed have Freon removal services, please call for details.
Pick Up / Removal
Contact your waste hauler to see how large appliance pick-up is handled or ask about removal of old appliances when buying new. When setting appliances out for pick up or removal, please remove the door (especially on refrigerators and freezers). It only takes minutes for a child to suffocate in a closed refrigerator/freezer.