Plastic Bottles & Jugs

Most recycling programs will accept plastic containers for recycling. Please pay close attention to which kind of plastic is accepted in each program.

  • Curbside Recycling Programs 
  • Drop-Off Recycling Programs 
  • Returnable Bottles: most grocery stores have Reverse Vending Machines (RVM) or accept certain plastic bottles sold in their store for return of deposit and recycling. Read more about the Michigan Bottle Bill/Returnable Bottle Law at the bottom of this page.

Plastic Foam/Styrofoam

The word Styrofoam (with a capital "S") is a trademarked name for a certain kind of foam used mostly for construction purposes. Household foam items like foam food containers, packaging blocks, egg cartons, to-go cups, etc. are different. Options for polystyrene foam recycling are limited in this area. When possible, try to reduce use of foam by not purchasing items that contain foam packaging. 

  • Tri-Power Recycling: 1240 Anderson St., Elkhart, IN. 574-848-1900. Accepts foam from residents at their facility. Click the website to learn what type of foam is accepted and what is not accepted.
  • Foam will be accepted at the October 10th Community Recycling Event that takes place at the Southeast Berrien County Landfill Recycle Center in Buchanan in 2020. Foam is only accepted during these one-day events at this location. 

Packing Peanuts

  • Packaging Service Companies: Inquire directly with local packaging or shipping companies about foam (or other) packaging reuse.
  • Surplus Trading: 2700 N. M-63, Benton Harbor, 269-849-1800. Accepts: clean, dry packing peanuts.  
  • The UPS Store: 732 S. 11th St., Niles, 269-683-7320; and 717 St. Joseph Dr., St. Joseph, 269-983-5754. Accepts: clean, dry packing peanuts and other various reusable packing materials for reuse.  
  • 1826 Hilltop Rd., St. Joseph, 800-624-8681 or 269-983-7155, Accepts: clean, dry packing peanuts and other various reusable packing materials for reuse.

Michigan Bottle Bill

Michigan is one of 10 states with a beverage container deposit law. Only "beverage containers" require a deposit and can be redeemed. The law states under MCL Section 445.571(b) that a beverage means a “soft drink, soda water, carbonated natural mineral water, or other nonalcoholic carbonated drink; beer, ale, or other malt drink of whatever alcoholic content; or a mixed wine drink or a mixed spirit drink.” Bringing beverage containers from out of state on which no deposit was paid in Michigan for the purpose of collecting a deposit on the containers is illegal. More information about the Michigan Bottle Bill can be found by searching "Bottle Bill" at the  Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy.