Household Hazardous Waste Collections
Berrien County Parks Department conducts 6 one-day events to collect liquids and hazards from Berrien County residents for recycling and proper disposal. These events are open to Berrien County residents only.
The 2017 collection events are finished for the year. See the 2018 collection dates below.
REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE DAY AT LAKE MICHIGAN COLLEGE: April 11, 2018, Wednesday, 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., LAKE MICHIGAN COLLEGE, 2755 E. Napier Ave., Benton Harbor campus.
HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS, ELECTRONICS RECYCLING, DOCUMENT SHREDDING: May 19, 2018, Saturday, 8 a.m. - Noon, SOUTHEAST BERRIEN COUNTY LANDFILL RECYCLE STATION, 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan.
HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS & ELECTRONICS RECYCLING: June 16, 2018 Saturday, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., NEW BUFFALO TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT, 17655 Clay Street, New Buffalo.
HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS & ELECTRONICS RECYCLING: August 15, 2018, Wednesday, 3 p.m. - 7 p.m., LOVE CREEK NATURE CENTER, 9292 Huckleberry Rd., Berrien Center. Accepted items include household chemicals and electronics.
HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS & ELECTRONICS RECYCLING: September 22, 2018, Saturday, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m., SILVER BEACH COUNTY PARK, 101 Broad St., below the bluff, St. Joseph.
HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS, ELECTRONICS RECYCLING, DOCUMENT SHREDDING: October 13, 2018, Saturday, 8 a.m. - 12 Noon, SOUTHEAST BERRIEN COUNTY LANDFILL RECYCLE STATION, 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan.
- Acids and Bases: Muriatic acid, Battery acid, TSP, Lye
- Adhesives: Caulk, Glue
- Aerosols: All kinds
- Automotive Products:
- Brake fluid
- Gasoline: Gasoline brought in a standard gas can or gas container can be poured off at the event, and the container can be returned to the participant
- Transmission fluid
- Used motor oil and filters
- Auto batteries
- Boat batteries
- Button cell
- Household or alkaline batteries (any size)
- Motorcycle batteries
- Rechargeable (used in power tools, phones, laptops, etc.)
- Beauty Products:
- Hair spray
- Nail polish/remover
- Bathroom/kitchen cleaners
- Drain cleaner
- Oven cleaner
- Soaps and shampoos
- Air conditioners
- All household and office electronics
- Anything with a cord or that runs on batteries
- Chain saws
- Computer monitors ($10/monitor fee, all types)
- Computer peripherals
- DVR/DVD players
- Power tools
- Push lawn mowers
- Small and large appliances
- Televisions ($20/tv fee, all types)
- Fluorescent Lights: Compact, tubes, Circular
- Gasoline: Gasoline brought in a standard gas can or gas container can be poured off at the event, and the container can be returned to the participant.
- Home heating oil
- Lighter fluid
- Medical Waste:
- Medical Sharps and Needles (must be in a puncture proof container)
- Outdated medicine
- Pills (either in original container or combined into a baggie)
- Mercury: Thermometers, Thermostats, Liquid
- Miscellaneous: Cooking oil, Crack filler, Driveway sealer, Roof coating.
- Pesticides/Herbicides: All kinds
- Photography Chemicals: Developer, Fixer, Stop bath
- Propane Cylinders (1 lb): One-pound cylinders only. Gas grill size propane tanks are not accepted at these events.
- Swimming Pool Chemicals:
- pH reducer / pH increaser
- Paint Products:
- Mineral spirits
- Oil based paint
- Paint thinner/Stripper
- Spray Paint Cans of all kinds
ANOTHER OPTION FOR DISPOSAL OF HOUSEHOLD CHEMICALS: The Kalamazoo County Household Hazardous Waste Center is available for Berrien County RESIDENTS to use, free, year around. When utilizing the Kalamazoo HHW Center, Berrien County residents must show an ID with an address.