Canine teams may be used to provide specialized services to support the mission, goals and objectives of the Berrien County Sheriff Department. Recognizing that canines have a superior sense of smell and hearing, the trained law enforcement canine is a valuable supplement to police staffing.
Canines may be used for :
- Conducting building searches for hidden offenders.
- Locating lost, missing or incapacitated persons.
- Tracking suspects who have fled crime scenes.
- Conducting crime scene and area searches for discarded evidence, such as clothing, weapons, etc.
- Detecting the presence of narcotic substances.
- Assisting in the establishment of probable cause in asset forfeiture cases.
- Other situations not mentioned above when deemed appropriate.
The Berrien County Sheriff's Office canine teams are available 24 hours a day to assist when needed.